My biggest challenge is how to put the Sound City letters on the front of the amp. I was thinking I would hand embroider them on, but that is because in my head the actual letter sizes were WAY smaller. Once I enlarged the whole image, the letters were bigger than possible to embroider, so I then decided on using my old standby method- Steam A Seam. Steam A Seam boggles my mind each and ever time I attempt to use it. Which side of the paper do I draw my pattern? Do I draw it right side up or up side down? These are some of the hardest questions in the universe- well to me anyway. This is one reason why I HATE paper piecing too. I always plan my pattern and then once it is sewn, I come up short. I waste so much fabric with these techniques. Thankfully I can expense them with my business.
SO, my worry is ironing the letter onto the tulle and not having the tulle melt. I traced my letter S as my sample, good thing too as you can see in the photo that once again I have it backwards!
I lay a tea towel down- couldn't find my pressing cloth and the tea towel drawer is directly below my make shift work area, and pressed away. The tulle curled a bit on the edges of my sample, but basically survived.
Now I just need to appliqué around the edge so that it stays down. My Sgt. Pepper quilt from years back didn't have any appliqué, as I was making it days before the concert (my usual procrastination technique) and I didn't have time to appliqué the letters. I am sure by now that they have all peeled off, so I hope to avoid that disaster by securing my Sound City letters permanently!
I then tried out some of the appliqué stitches my sewing machine has and narrowed it down to every quilter's favourite- the blanket stitch and then the blind hem. I decided on the blanket stitch as it was easy to follow the edge of the letter fabric without fraying that edge. Here a few photos of my sample stitches.
In any of the photos I find online, the actual Sound City letters look to be yellow. I am not sure if they are originally yellow, or if like Rick's checkerboard guitar, they were once white and yellowed with age. The yellow/ gold fabric I have looks really good but I think I might take some white and tea dye it tonight and see if that looks any better.
That's it for today. If you don't hear from me for a few days it could be that I traced all my letters backwards once again and have to re-do them-LOL. Or that it will take me a long time to appliqué around each letter of the words. Either way know that I am hard at work on the letters and hopefully the next photo will be of a finished amp grill.